Thursday, July 16, 2009

Lunch Letters Introduction


Do you remember the good old days, when you could throw out a baggie and not feel guilt? How little we knew!
Parenthood turns us into super recyclers, and I've been trying to ramp up my sustainablitiy at our household, starting with lunches. I've always been a HUGE fan of bento lunches, and the blog Just Bento. But truthfully, the bento concept isn't catching on in my house as fast as I'd like.
Since I'm the one making the lunches, I have no one to blame but myself! So, what's a poor Suburbian mom to do? Ah ha... enter the reuseable lunch wrappers!

These are not exactly new, they are everywhere. Reuseable lunch wrappers are basically a piece of fabric sewn into a reusable baggie. There are lots of free patterns out there. I fashioned mine after an actual sandwich baggie, cut apart and used as a pattern. I wanted them (including my snack bags) to lay flat so they could be wiped out when messy. I also wanted them to be food safe-- not made from PVCs or other questionable materials.

The answer seemed to lie with Nylon. Now there are different types of nylon. If you are attempting to make these yourself, try to get your hands on Nylon that is thick and durable. If all that is available is ripstop Nylon, that would probably work but might not hold up to food as well.
So, with much fanfare... I'm introducing Lunch Letters. Little reuseable sandwich and snack wraps for a better world, or just a better lunch.

Here's a peek:
These two are available in the store. Although there are already several great tutorials out there, I'm working on a tutorial for my take on these, too.





No comments: