Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tutorial - Make your own bow cards

Something for the bowheads! :)

I'm not a huge maker of bows. Every once in a while though, the mood (or idea) strikes me and I can't resist.
Since I don't do this all the time, I wanted away to present my bows neatly, without a lot of fuss. Enter the homemade bow card.

I ordered (Vistaprint.com) postcards with two imprints on the same card. They are basically my business card template- except they have a place to price and size. I use these with my clothing often as hangtags. Why postcards? I like the white spaces at the end. I cut the two prints apart, retaining the white space.

Now, to turn this into a bow card, I get out the exacto knife.
Cut two parallel slits (very close together) on one side and two on the other. To determine the distance of these two sets, measure the length of the barrette or clippy prong, then reduce the size slightly. (A 2" barrette needs to have slit sets that are 1.5" apart, for example.)

Then, still at the cutting board, cut a diagonal slit between the parallel slits. (Photo.)



This opens the area for inserting the bow. If you have hang racks, the other side can have a punch hole in it to hang from the pegs.
Cheap and quick, but still professional looking!









MaryKay is slowly trying to dig herself out from under a mountain if fabric, one tutorial at a time.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wonderful design of those cards by Vista Print... Thanks for the tutorial...